Mayor Lori Lightfoot enacts weekend curfew after 3 shot, 1 killed near Millennium Park ‘Bean’

Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced a curfew for unaccompanied minors after downtown shootings killed a teen and injured two others Saturday night.

Effective immediately, unaccompanied minors are not allowed in Millennium Park after 6:00 p.m. from Thursday through Sunday, Lightfoot said in a statement.

“We, as a City, can not allow any of our public spaces to become platforms for danger. Anyone coming into our public spaces should expect to enjoy them peacefully and must respect and exhibit basic community norms of decency. We simply will not accept anything less,” Lightfoot said, in part. “I am calling on all parents, guardians, and caring adults to step up at this moment and do whatever it takes to prevent a tragedy like this from happening again and to encourage appropriate behavior when our young people gather anywhere in this great City of ours.”

Two people were shot in the Loop Saturday night after a 16-year-old boy was shot and killed near “the Bean,” Chicago police said.

The first shooting took place about 7:30 p.m.

The boy was in the 200-block of East Randolph Street when he was shot in the chest,

He was taken to Lurie Children’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, police said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office identified him as Seandell Holliday of Chicago.

At least two people of interest were taken in for questioning and at least two weapons were recovered, police said. Area detectives are investigating the shooting.

Then, just after 11:40 p.m., an 18- to 20-year-old man and an 18-year-old man were walking in the 300-block of South State Street when two boys shot into the group, police said.

The man whose age is unknown was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition with gunshot wounds to the neck and chest. The 18-year-old was taken to Stroger Hospital in fair condition with a gunshot wound to the left hand.

Two boys are being questioned, and Area Three detectives are investigating.

In response to the first Loop shooting, Mayor Lori Lightfoot issued a statement, saying:

“Earlier this evening, a 16-year-old was tragically killed near Millennium Park. This senseless loss of life is utterly unacceptable. Tonight, a mother is grief-stricken, mourning the loss of her child and searching for answers. My heart is breaking for the mother as she grieves this unspeakable loss.

“Of course, young people are welcome everywhere in our city, but community norms require respect for each other, people’s property, and the sanctity of life. Anything less simply will not be tolerated. We must also have zero tolerance for young people carrying firearms or settling petty disputes with acts of violence. We all must condemn this behavior in the strongest terms possible and continue to take action against anyone who violates these basic community norms. And I continue to call upon parents and guardians to step up, to ensure that your children understand basic values of respect, and that you take responsibility for knowing at all times where your children are and who they are with.

“We will be taking additional actions to stop this lawlessness and will share details as soon as possible on what additional measures we will be taking to help prevent events like this from happening in the future.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: