The Brooklyn subway shooting suspect has been denied bail. 4 survivors are still in the hospital

The Brooklyn subway shooting suspect has been denied bail. 4 survivors are still in the hospital

(CNN)Four survivors were still hospitalized Thursday, two days after a shooting on a subway train left New Yorkers badly shaken and forced a reckoning over passenger security on the largest public transportation system in the country.

The man authorities say was the shooter, Frank James, 62, was denied bail in court Thursday and did not enter a plea on charges of violating a law that prohibits terrorism and violent attacks on mass transportation. He was arrested a day earlier in Manhattan’s East Village after calling in a tip to police; hours earlier, a teenager had called Crime Stoppers to report seeing him.

Police say James boarded a train during Tuesday morning’s rush in Brooklyn, set off smoke grenades and fired a gun 33 times, shooting 10 people.

Twenty-nine people were sent to hospitals, including the 10 who were shot and 19 others who suffered injuries mostly related to smoke inhalation, falling down or having a panic attack, officials said. The four people still hospitalized Thursday were in stable condition, according to hospital representatives.

While officials have not released a motive for one of the most violent attacks to occur on the city’s subway system, they have pointed to YouTube videos in which James shares his views on violence, mass shootings and mental health.

James, who’s Black, says in the videos that he suffered from post-traumatic stress and supported hatred of African Americans and other people he believed had maligned him. In a video posted in February, he criticizes a plan by New York Mayor Eric Adams’ administration to address safety and homelessness in the subway, saying it was “doomed to fail.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: